An effective Lay Leader functions as the primary representative of and role model for Christian discipleship and faith lived out in the church and in daily life for the people of a congregation. The Lay Leader works with the pastor to fulfill the mission and vision of the congregation.
What doe s the Lay Leader do?
- This leader represents the lay people in the congregation and is a role model of Christian discipleship for the congregation.
- This leader examines ways the congregation as a whole and as individuals can be involved in caring ministries in the community. He or she works with the pastor and other leaders to launch or strengthen ministries that build discipleship and increase God’s presence e of caring, justice and love in the world.
- The Lay Leader makes plans with leaders in the congregation for celebrating the ministry of lay people throughout the year, and especially on Laity Sunday.
- The Lay Leader learns about the actions taken at annual conference and by the General Conference and shares this information with members of the congregation.
- The Lay Leader meets regularly with the pastor to discuss the state of the church and the opportunities for ministry.